Friday, November 15, 2019

A Chance Encounter


            It’s been a few days since that horrible nightmare, and since then I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary. Until now, that is. When I was leaving my last class for the day today I saw the art student from the day this all started. He didn’t seem to recognize me or remember anything about our encounter. Or anything about the man he was drawing.

            At least, I think that he wanted me to think he didn’t remember. I could see something in his eyes, an unconscious fearful flinch when I approached him. I’m pretty sure he was lying about not remembering and just wanted to have nothing to do with me. He pushed past me when I asked him if we could talk somewhere and before I knew it he had disappeared into the mass of students around us. When I turned to look for him I thought for a split second that I had seen the man he was drawing at the fringe of the crowd, but when I turned back to see for sure, he wasn’t there.

            Since I at least know that I saw the art student, I know that I wasn’t hallucinating that day. It feels kinda good to know for sure that I know something about all this. Hopefully now I’ll be able to find some answers.

AN: I’ve been looking for anything I can find on this Dirk Rossman. In between my coursework and writing this story and investigating Mr. Rossman I’ve been somewhat neglecting my physical and mental wellbeing. I’ve become something of a recluse, only leaving my dorm room to go to class, not speaking with anyone outside of class.

About Mr. Rossman, I haven’t found a lot, but I did at least manage to find something so far. The Rossman family came to this area two hundred years ago, though only the eldest son ever appeared in the public sphere. The house they built is the one that still stands to this day. The family rarely received visitors, but it’s said that any who met the father never returned. The last recorded visitation occurred a hundred years ago, which would explain why the people at the park that day didn’t seem to be bothered being so close to the house.

Something doesn’t add up. I’ll be going back to the park soon.

2 comments:

  1. now, this may be a bit hypocritical of me, but isn't it a little odd to leave the slender man's name all-lowercase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes him stand out less, just like he likes it.

      Delete